6.20.2010

New York's got some Bike Paths

New York's been making quite an effort to designate bike lanes and such throughout the city. It's still quite unnerving to ride around, but there certainly are a lot of cyclists here. Brave, brave cyclists.

I've tried commuting to work a couple of times now, and both times I found myself in-toning "don't kill me" to the crazy cars and other cyclists who didn't earn the superlative of "Uses the Most Hand Signals" on Bike and Build (they don't signal as much or at all ...). But I do have to say that being able to cross the Brooklyn Bridge on the way to work makes up for it big time:
Today I tried riding on the Hudson River Greenway, a bike path created that runs all along the western edge of Manhattan. The unfortunate aspect is that it took 35 min to get there. Well, I did get lost a few times. I ended up following someone on a yellow Motobecane for a while who seemed to know where they were going (he or she looked pretty androgynous, I couldn't tell what gender, actually). There were a lot of people, and I probably annoyed another cyclist because I glued myself to his wheel during the really crowded parts. He was wearing a serious looking jersey, and a nice enough bike that I didn't feel like passing him, but he also wasn't going too fast that he was actually dropping me. He got off some time around when the pedestrian crossings lessened, and I continued on solo.

I stopped at this park, called West Harlem Piers Park. It was super nice! Water fountains, nice benches, some very nice pier features to get closer to the water. It gets a gold star in my book.





Why are these hats here? I dunno. I just wanted to show you the quintessential Korean "ajumma" (married woman) hat. I swear, it's genetic. A Korean woman gets married and hits a certain age, and all of a sudden, they grow these hats on their heads.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have software that allows you to put your panoramic shots together, or are you photoshopping them? They look nice! When I was down in Southern Utah, I took a ton of panoramic shots...now I just need to put them together...suggestions beside photoshop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least they're not using the "Most Used Hand Sign." ^_~

    ReplyDelete