6.19.2010

Coney Island Mermaid Parade 2010

Today, Robin and I went to the Coney Island Mermaid Parade! It was my first time in the area, and I learned that there's actually quite a nice beach in the New York area. I noticed on the website they mentioned something about registering floats, but it wasn't until I actually got there that I realized that all of the floats are created by volunteers and people. It was pretty awesome.

It starts off with this super shiny dude and his bubbly companion.
It so happened that Robin's friends brought a variety of parasols. They became our way finders for each other throughout the afternoon.
Little Mermaid!
Goth Merfolks

Jellyfish kid and family :D

WHALE TENT and jellyfish! I love the attempt at scale and the creativity.


Some of the floats got political, commentating the oil spill destroying mermaid habitats.


Priya: this float was playing some awesome desi beats!
Coney Island Boardwalk. It was quite nice!
Note Parasols. We dipped our feet in the ocean.
The last time I touched the Atlantic was on Bike and Build!
We walked along the beach until we decided to get some foods in the area. We found some Eastern European place (Russian? Uzbekistan?) and got some tasty foods. I got something called "samsa" which looked like a bun with meat in it. On our way to the B/Q stop, we came across the "Fancy Fruits and Vegetables" grocery store that sold vast amounts of fruits and veggies for incredibly cheap. I spent $3.14 on everything you see below. And mind you, that box of blueberries is 4 times the size of normal blueberry boxes ($1). YUM~

1 comment:

  1. Parasols! are so sweet! At KC's wedding, we bridesmaids are getting parasols to hold because the ceremony is outside and parasols are awesome. :) Soooo maybe we can hang out the second or third weekend in July...? Depends on my stage of moved-in-edness, but tentatively, one of those weekends should work!

    ReplyDelete