6.03.2010

The many faces of work.

All throughout this semester, I immersed myself in landscape architecture completely outside of my comfort zone of architecture. I feel vastly more in control of a sense of scale, even if I'm not actually a landscape architect or anything. I did think it'd be nice to be back at the building scale while at work during the summer.

Ironically, we are now working on a masterplan for a whole district in an Asian city, the surface area of which is not too far off from that of Trenton, NJ. I spent the past 2 days diagramming landscape architecture scale items such as residential districts and open spaces. I find this hugely amusing: there is no escape from landscape architecture!

So far the people at work have been both welcoming and helpful. Many of them have welcomed me back from my brief stint during the winter, and I have also met many new faces. I love how every day, I hear at least 2 foreign languages spoken. There is a German (?) perhaps Belgian co-worker who speaks British and German accented English, Norwegian, Columbian, Taiwanese, Venezuelan, Canadian (yes, I consider that foreign), Philipino, Singaporean, amongst other nationalities. The Norwegian lady speaks fluent German and often converses with the German/Belgian gentleman in German. The Taiwanese lady is our gateway to the client we are working for and regularly speaks Mandarin into the phone. The Columbian and Venezuelan converse in Spanish. It's so cosmo!

No comments:

Post a Comment