8.21.2010

Joys of Swimming

It's been not quite a week since I've returned to C'ville. The drive down ended up being not bad at all (on a Sunday morning before traffic). My new place is a quaint little house with 2 apartments. The only downfall is the recent heat and lack of a/c, but this should pass soon enough. I'm toughing it out with a nice Borg fan.

Bernard suggested that I try swimming several times now, and each time I'd written off as crazy. The effort to change into a swim suit, the chlorine, the wet hair afterwards, etc. However, the heat kept conjuring images of cool watersides and icy mixed drinks and cool breezes, so I finally gave it a try.

First of all, I have never considered myself a swimmer, which is why I found myself leaning against the wall panting to catch my breath after the first 4 laps in what must be an olympic sized pool (largest I've ever swum in for sure ...). I was also trying out a couple of tips that I had learned from watching some videos posted by a former US Olympian swimmer. I definitely found it more tiring, which means I'm doing something entirely wrong, or I'm actually trying to push more water that I used to. Or I'm just more out of shape than I thought. Anyways. I was completely exhausted after just 30 minutes of off and on laps, so I decided to call it a day. So much more efficient of a workout than cycling!

The best part was when I discovered the GIANT whirlpool and dry sauna. I will be visiting those more during the year :D

2 comments:

  1. Why don't you try Chicago Triathron, Olympic Distance, 1.5K S, 40K B, & 10K R. It is held harbor front at downtown on the last sunady of August. You have pretty much everything except wetsuit. And Mom and I can see you in Chicago too. hhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your dad. You should try the Chicago Tri-Olympic Distance. If you do, I recommend practicing some open water swimming so you get used to swimming straight which seems harder than it looks.

    ReplyDelete