10.01.2009

More Habitat + First Studio Project due. Yikes.

C-ville's got a lot of houses going up through Habitat. It's pretty exciting.

This week, I was at the Paton St. location, making it easier to get to by bike. There was one duplex and one house going up in the area. The duplex had a nice porch/roof design going. I should have taken a picture, it was unusually nicely designed for an HfH house.

Kate was the building leader I worked most with today. She's from North Carolina, apparently hitch hiked across America one summer, and works for HfH as a paid employee. Her dog got to hang out with us on site. Pinion knows how to shake hands, he's great. I also met Tim, who recently graduated from the Law School and is waiting for his job to begin in January, and Quentin, a local high schooler, who, I'm guessing is part of the family who will live at the house?

We all worked on siding the house in the back. The group from yesterday had completed a ridiculously un-grandiose amount of 1.5 siding boards. We had Quentin cutting the pieces of siding and the three of us on scaffolding rechalking the incorrect lines, pulling up a few boards, adding flashing to the seams, making sure the siding was level, and finally hammering them in. We put in probably about 2 vertical feet of siding, which for a professional might be a lame quantity, but for volunteer work in 3 hours, I think is not bad.

It was a nice break from studio. I had spent the greater part of the weekend working on finishing up our first project, and I presented it to the class on Wednesday. Now it's over. On to the next project!

2 comments:

  1. As always, impressed w/ you merging your volunteer work w/ your hobby and career. Puts me to shame. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hammering is great stress relief. I guess you get that from actually beating (well-protected/armored) people with bamboo implements :D

    I'm sure there's something you could do with computer architecture ... ?

    ReplyDelete